Friday, June 23, 2006

Pluto's New Moons Nix and Hydra




The two small moons found last year have been named Nix and Hydra by the (here) IAU.
In mythology, Nix is the goddess of darkness and night, befitting a satellite orbiting distant Pluto, the god of the underworld. Nix is also the mother of Charon, relevant to the giant impact believed to have created Pluto's three satellites, indicating Charon was borne of the material from which Nix formed. Hydra is the terrifying monster with the body of a serpent and nine heads, befitting the outermost moon of Pluto, the ninth planet in the solar system.


The Moons were discovered by the Hubble Telescope and a team of researchers from Southwest Research Institute, the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md and the Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff, Ariz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my 1972 miami dolphins site.
Have a great week!